1. Money

Work from Home Jobs for the Disabled

By May 29, 2007

If you're suffering from a disability or chronic medical condition you may have access to work from home jobs that are only available to the disabled. One agency that offers work from home jobs to the disabled is the National Telecommuting Institute (NTI), a non-profit organization.

NTI describes its missions as: "NTI staff bring together employers who have agreed to "go virtual," advanced communications technology, and vocational rehabilitation agencies to enable individuals with disabilities to train for and work online in environments that are more easily accessible to them".

Most NTI jobs currently offered are for customer service representatives, tech support agents and medical transcriptionists. Hiring organizations range from the IRS to AAA's auto club. They are the prime contractor for the IRS and the Department of Veterans Affairs. They also act as subcontractors for Medicare and Medicaid, the Department of Labor and the INS. They've also matched disabled home workers with private companies, including Ticket Master, Home Shopping Network, Alamo Rent A Car, and other well-recognized corporations.

NTI offers training to qualified job applicants, the fees for which are paid for by vocational rehab counseling agencies. It also provides a table of states where NTI is an approved vendor for vocational rehab agencies. Currently, this includes about 30 US states.

You must eventually submit a written certification of your disability before you can be offered a job via NTI. Either a physician or a Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) office in your state must provide a letter verifying that you have a chronic medical condition or disability. NTI publishes its current list of available jobs online. Sign Up for My Newsletter or RSS Feed
Comments
May 19, 2008 at 11:00 am
(1) Mike Garrard says:

I found myself with degenerative disc disease in my back — am no longer able to work outside the home– I had to find another way to earn an income and Man did I ever — It takes some discipline but well worth it! Making more money today that ever!!
Mike Garrard
[telephone number removed by moderator]

August 26, 2008 at 5:27 pm
(2) Donna says:

Mike, I’m so glad to hear you are doing well with your work decision. May I ask what you decided to do? I am at the point where my fibromyalgia is causing me to consider changing many things, and my husband has lumbar disk disease as you do. We need to figure something out where we each are going to be happy and able to function.

September 1, 2008 at 11:43 pm
(3) Kimberly says:

Mike,

Please share what you have found as a legitimate source of income for those of us who really need to work from home. I have Multiple Sclerosis and Fibromyalgia and have come to a point where the fibro has taken over to where I can’t perform my job which requires repetitive movement. Anyone with any info please share.
Thank you!

September 11, 2008 at 5:51 pm
(4) anees ur rahman says:

i am disable i want good job

September 15, 2008 at 10:16 am
(5) TANYA says:

I AM 49 HAVE MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS NEED HELP TO FIND A JOB I CAN DO FROM HOME.

September 15, 2008 at 9:31 pm
(6) Kathy says:

I also need a job or business. I have aphasia, so I’m unable to do telemarketing, sales, transcription, or anything using my hearing, writing is difficult. I’ve been barred from working outside of my home. I’ve spent many, many hours trying to find something, as I don’t have enough income to live on. I can do just about anything that I did before (no one expected me to be a saleman or secretary before). It’s hungry here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

October 8, 2008 at 1:18 pm
(7) Sherry says:

I have been approved for a job with NTI and have been working with a VR counclor who has ordered me a 19 in computer and is going to help me set up my office, problem is that I check their website several times a day for new job postings but their is NEVER anything new???? So I am just sort of in waiting. I have MS and I currently work a full time job. I have missed so much work its not even funny. Any one else have this problem with NTI?

October 10, 2008 at 8:01 am
(8) Laurie says:

Usually working from home means being part of a MLM (Multi-level Marketing). Finding the “right” company for you is important. I have found a 16 year old company that works for me. It may work for you. I would be happy to give you more information so you can decide if it would work for you. (In most states.)

October 10, 2008 at 8:36 am
(9) Randy Duermyer says:

Laurie:
I totally disagree that:

“Usually working from home means being part of a MLM (Multi-level Marketing). ”

MLM is one option of many and for most people is not the answer at all. Unfortunately, the vast majority of those who get involved in MLM end up wasting their time and money. While there are exceptions, they are truly the exception and not the rule.

The people commenting on this thread need real help, and some are truly in dire straits. They should not have to endure prodding to become part of someone’s downline.

Randy

October 10, 2008 at 11:46 am
(10) Wanda says:

I have been trying so hard to find a legitimate job since I too live with an advanced case of Degenerative Disk Disease. We are fixing to lose everything we have and I want to work so bad and help my family. This web site was such a blessing to find. I have lots of customer service exp.(25-30 yrs.) I just need to learn a little more on the computer and this girl will be good to go. Thank You So Much !

December 13, 2008 at 4:53 am
(11) Kris says:

If your working with a VR counselor and NTI is not working, Look into CORA, They have many jobs opening right now.

January 17, 2009 at 12:57 am
(12) Linda says:

I have Ulcerative Colitis which is not going into remission like my doctor would like to see. I am a single mother and just turned 47 in august. I have to find a job that I can do from home. If anyone has any information that will help in my seach, please contact me. Thank you in advance.

February 2, 2009 at 7:00 pm
(13) Dennis Bendickson says:

I am pleasantly surprised how supportive and encouraging the employer I am working with is.That work is simple enough that anyone can do is and is low stress. After the first two weeks full time work is available.

March 5, 2009 at 9:41 pm
(14) Kathy says:

Another wasted website to scam the disabled!!!

September 7, 2009 at 10:04 am
(15) homebusiness says:

I now think I have figured that out and have deleted the offending comment, thanks to another comment I received today. Actually, there were two purporting to be from a Reverend – PersonalJobs@hotmail and TotalJobs@hotmail, I think. Isn’t it awful that people can be so low as to disguise their scams as “Christian” or from a “Reverend”? And scamming the disabled, no less. That’s just appalling to me.

If you ever want to complain about someone else’s comment or a scam of any kind you see on this site – please be specific so I can take prompt action. Unfortunately, it took me 6 months to figure this out.

March 6, 2009 at 8:28 am
(16) homebusiness says:

Kathy:

Please clarify your comment. Which website are you referring to?

Guide
About Home Business

April 29, 2009 at 10:29 am
(17) joe says:

I also have degenertive disc disease and have been looking for something I can do from home as I am not able to do the work i use too. I have been looking for years and have only been place on a list at best and have yet to find anything. Ive went to wbsite after website most were scams or I never heard anything back. Can anyone help please

May 12, 2009 at 3:25 pm
(18) Chris says:

I recently spoke with one of the directors at CORA (www.coraworks.com), which trains teleworkers as their employees starting at state minimum wage, though the employees can advance within and take an outside position with the experience. As of May 09 their website is undergoing a total reconstruction, but the e-mail and phone number are still valid. The staff member who did return my call gave me a lot of helpful information.

Some of it concerned NTI and wasn’t encouraging. Not only has the Auto club laid off all their NTI workers, but an NTI employee working for the IRS was fired after two weeks – for helping a caller find a tax publication, rather than follow her script and dish the call off to someone else, which given her functionality there was no reason to do. Personally, I am (was) still waiting for NTI to respond to an e-mail, which I delivered in lieu of an application, since NTI’s site has no general-public POC. I would stay away from these folks.

June 22, 2009 at 3:28 pm
(19) Nancy says:

How to find work-at-home jobs that don’t require a landline or cable internet connection? Our rural location prevents our disabled son from applying for internet-connected jobs, which he would be good at. The only high-speed internet we can get is satellite or wireless. Land line doesn’t support it. Any suggestions?

June 28, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(20) homebusiness says:

Hi Nancy:
I wish I had an answer for you, but I really don’t. Until rural areas are plugged in reliably, it’s going to be difficult to get decent Internet speed – at least the kind of speed most of the work at home contact centers require. I’m hoping other readers will have some ideas!

July 4, 2009 at 4:16 pm
(21) Peggy says:

Hi Nancy,
I am disabled from birth and know that this site NTI has too many qualifications, don’t bother. What you can do is go around your town and ask companies for jobs that can be done at home. Examples; collating papers, stuffing envelopes, assemble work and customer service with a second landline just answering questions about services or products. This last one may have some forms to fill out. Another one is to find items to sell from home using booklets and home parties. I hope this helps.
Peg

October 15, 2009 at 3:14 pm
(22) Home Biz’preneur says:

Having tried many years to secure a full time work-from-home job that would accommodate my disability (Muscular Dystrophy), I came to the realization that only a home base business would allow me to work and earn a living. I recommend that any severely handicapped person spend their time, effort and money on pursuing the “home business option” rather than the “work from home job option”.

The only problem is try finding information on what types of home-based businesses are good for the disabled and you’ll come up with very few -if any- ideas.

(Sigh)

October 16, 2009 at 8:19 am
(23) homebusiness says:

Home Biz:

“The only problem is try finding information on what types of home-based businesses are good for the disabled”

What’s good for one person may not be for the other, especially those who are disabled, since the nature and severity of the disability have a lot to do with it. I agree though, that creating your own income opportunity with a home based business is probably the best way to work at home, disabled or not. See What Home Based Business Should I Start which may help get you on track for deciding what avenues to pursue.
Thanks for the comment, and my best to all of you to your success!

November 3, 2009 at 11:37 am
(24) ALLISON says:

About 2 yrs ago my life turn completely upside down. I had been a professional reaching for the stars so to speak. Then illness left me with several disabilities that brought my career to a screeching halt. Trying to recover left me without my career and life I once known.
I not only found myself in the midst of an economic downfall, but, newly added personal challenges as I sought employment. I wanted to let you know I found a company called J.Lodge out of Ft Meyer, Fl. I was so thankful I found this job working from home…so far I have been pretty happy. I am not sure you know about them.. so I wanted to let you know about this company. People can apply thru their website at http://www.jlodge.com/careers/ feel free to ask me questions too. Allison

November 4, 2009 at 9:26 am
(25) homebusiness says:

Thanks for your comment Allison. I did some checking into the company out of curiousity, everything I found was positive, so I’m allowing the link in hopes that others will find the work they’ve been so desperately looking for.

I ask that if others do contact the company and go through the application and employment process (or have already done so) that they keep me posted on their experiences – good or bad.

You can add your comment here. I’m monitoring these comments and would like to hear what you’ve found out. If the company is as good for finding work at home for the disabled as it appears to be on the surface, I’d like to do an in-depth piece on it for an upcoming feature.

Thanks for sharing and giving others hope Allison. My best to you, your family and your future!

November 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm
(26) Sharon Proellochs says:

Despite the economic forecasts that still show job losses set to climb even higher, there are a few companies that are still experiencing growth. The J. Lodge Corporation, a quality call services company, has sustained profitability since 1999 and accredits its success solely to its unique employee model that consists of disabled business Americans. While other companies are outsourcing their jobs to foreign competitors, J.Lodge is striving to provide part-time careers for individuals who are interested in our company and who qualify for our positions. If anyone is interested please visit: http://www.jlodge.com/careers

I am disabled and have been since August 2000. This is the first job I have been able to find that I can do from home. I found real at home work and you can too… Please go to the website and click on Employment at top and then click on Apply. It’s that simple. Hope to be your co-worker soon!!!!

November 16, 2009 at 12:30 pm
(27) Charles Widner says:

I know what it was like trying to find legit opportunities to work at home. You should jump over to J. Lodge Corporation – http://www.jlodge.com/careers for some great opportunities. They specialize in assisting folks with disabilities get back into the work force but have other opportunities to work at home as well. If you need information on earning while on Social Security Disability check out – http://www.yourtickettowork.com/ ; then jump over to http://www.jlodge.com/careers and look at the openings available right!

November 16, 2009 at 4:20 pm
(28) homebusiness says:

Thanks for your comment Charles.

November 30, 2009 at 11:47 am
(29) Jeanette says:

I am thinking about applying for a job with NTI. I was just told by my cardiologist that I can no long work becasue my heart can’t take the stress any more. I am going to apply for disability but it takes so long to be approved.I am a 50 year old woman and my husband can’t bear all the responsiblity and upkeep of the bills. I graduated two years ago with an associates degree in applied science. My major is office administration. If I apply how will that affect getting Social Security Disability and what are the odds that I will actually get a position?

November 30, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(30) homebusiness says:

Jeanette:
I really can’t answer your questions about SS disability, but I’ll be some of my readers have had experience with that. Hopefully, they’ll reply to your comment. I’d also encourage you to post it in the forum discussion on work at home for the disabled.

Best of luck in all you do.

January 5, 2010 at 1:02 am
(31) Dan says:

I went to the CORA website and reviewed it rather thoroughly, I thought, but still have no idea what to do to find work through them. I didn’t see any jobs listed or any information on getting trained or anything else. Lots of “we can do this” and “we can do that” but nothing telling a person HOW to do it. I sent an email and we’ll see if I hear anything back from them.

January 5, 2010 at 8:25 am
(32) homebusiness says:

Dan:
Keep us posted.

January 5, 2010 at 11:25 pm
(33) Maureen says:

Have a BA in Sociology but haven’t found a job that’s right for me. I have several disablities but feel since I graduated with honors and have lots of perserverance I should be able to accomplish a successful job.
People rather spend there money hiring a competant healthy person then someone disabled because they get more for their money. We need to change those atrtitudes!

January 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm
(34) dwayne says:

hey jeanette or whom this may concern.. i have a disability (sma III) and if you want to work while on social security disability you can.. you just only allowed to make $950 a month gross.. thats before taxes and if you are blind up to $1200.. yea it sucks..but thats what happens whn we get help from the government.. and also from the moment that you apply to ssd to the moment you get approved you will get all that money in a lump sum check.. so if you got approved for $1000 monthly and had to wait a year for yor approaval your first check would be 12,000..

January 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm
(35) STEVE says:

A IDEA is start a answering service i did waiting for grant money disabled but still i need money for my meds start outcalling DRS in your area take only 2 or3 clients to start all you need is call forwarding charge no more than 5-8 PER MONTH DO A GOOD JOB THEY WILL TELL OTHERS
GOOD LUCK STEPHEN FROM HURON OHIO

January 10, 2010 at 2:02 pm
(36) STEVE says:

ukiebishop@gmail.com FOR INFO ANSWERING SERVICE FROM HOME WILLLING TO ELP YOU IF YOUARE DISABLED ONLY

January 10, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(37) Jean says:

Anyone interested in working for Coraworks/Cora LLC/Cora please run all three company names through Google.

January 21, 2010 at 9:20 pm
(38) Candy says:

I would strongly suggest doing a running all names through a search CORA, CORA LLC, CORAWORKS, Ilene Morris-Sambur (CEO). This company does NOT do what it advertises, there are no jobs available, they owe over $82,000 in back wages and over $100,000 in penalities and fines from the New Jersey Department of Labor. You can verify all complaints from your research with the NJ DOL.

January 22, 2010 at 7:35 am
(39) homebusiness says:

Candy:
Thanks for the heads up. I recommend doing a search on any opportunity people are considering, and then consider the source of the information you get in return. It makes perfect sense.

February 24, 2010 at 2:24 pm
(40) Melanie says:

I have degenerative discs in my low back, Meniere’s syndrome and diabetes. I am finding it hard to find a job working at home. I have tried a couple one of which was CORA and the other was IPSOS Reid. I liked that job from IPSOS Reid but it made my Meniere’s worse. I need something that is data entry and all I’ve found so far is scams. I have heard about JLodge, but they only take SSI/SSDI clients. I am not there. I am getting frustrated by not finding anything that I can do. I am really good at working with the computer and doing things on the computer that is why I thought data entry would be right. Can anyone give advise??

March 21, 2010 at 7:29 am
(41) Naresh sharma says:

Hello,

I am Naresh looking for a job and have 3yrs of work experience as senior Clerk.

April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am
(42) Dusty says:

Hello I am a stay at Home Mom to a 4 year old little boy I am basically home bound I have Cerebral Palsy and Can not drive. I have tried to do call center work. My disability causes me problems with fine motor skills so I am not the fastest typer in the world but if someone has any idea of something I could do I would love to hear it.

April 1, 2010 at 1:15 pm
(43) homebusiness says:

Dusty:
I wish you all the best and hope some of my readers can offer suggestions. I also encourage you (and others) to take advantage of the work from home for the disabled discussion in the forum, which could use a whole lot more active discussion on the problems faced by those in your shoes and ideas on solving some of them.

Welcome, and thanks for dropping by.

April 27, 2010 at 12:40 am
(44) Giz says:

You may get a job.. but you may not like it. I have had a job with a call center but the stress level is ridiculous and they don’t really care. If you can handle the stress go for it. If you can’t don’t do it. It’s a stockyard

April 27, 2010 at 10:26 am
(45) homebusiness says:

Giz:
Agree, call center work is not for everyone, myself included. I made it about two weeks in one position and ten days in another before I canned the idea all together. Unfortunately, there are many readers of mine who really aren’t qualified or able to do much else. Some have the personality for it and enjoy the work, and some want the work so bad they’ll do just about anything and put up with it no matter how much they hate it.

June 21, 2010 at 11:19 am
(46) A says:

Hey everyone I just wanted to put out a heads up and if I missed the fact that someone already made this comment sorry. The one thing to keep in mind is it does not matter how well you do on the first two tests you take if you can’t type at least 20 words a minute you will fail their testing process.

August 27, 2010 at 2:29 pm
(47) Veronica says:

I was found to have a disability with disk problems in my neck which I can’t lift anymore and the job title I once had would require me to. Now I am at home. Will i qualify for work like this? Please give me some insight.

August 28, 2010 at 9:53 am
(48) homebusiness says:

Veronica:
My advice would be to use the link in the article to see if NTI is approved in your state, and then contact you state’s vocational rehab department to get in touch with a counselor and tell them what you want to do.

I hope others who have been in a situation similar to yours will be able to offer some additional advice.

August 30, 2010 at 8:54 pm
(49) Patricia says:

I, like so many others on this forum, have multiple health problems. I have a Master’s Degree and find myself trying to find something to do from my home. I have been disabled, in the eyes of SSD, for over a year. Any thoughts on job procurement would be appreciated. Thank you.

September 3, 2010 at 10:31 am
(50) pallav sethi says:

I’m handicapped. Tell me about any work at home in net. I’m 21 years old.

September 3, 2010 at 11:16 am
(51) homebusiness says:

pallav sethi:

Thanks for the comment. Again, the idea here is not my spoon feeding you jobs, but to help you find jobs without getting scammed.

There are several posts about work at home from the disabled, including these:

It’s not just what I have to say, but the comments that are left by those who are disabled and working from home that can help you out. Same goes for the About Home Business forum.

There is a separate folder I’ve create in the forum for Work at Home for the disabled at:

Admittedly, it’s not always easy to find a link to the forum from my site. However, I do encourage you to use search once you get here to find what you’re looking for if you can’t find it otherwise.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment and good luck to you,