1. Money

Work at Home Jobs for the Disabled - Revisited

By November 12, 2009

Since I posted the question, Why Do You Work from Home or Want To? I've received over 90 responses from you. What I never realized was the number of you who are disabled and are desperately wanting to find work at home so you can continue to support yourselves and your families.

While I post legitimate work at home jobs each week, and I even occasionally stumble upon a work at home job that is especially suited for the disabled, I have to admit, this is an area that has not received enough attention on this site. My "big" contribution to the subject amounts to a blog post I did over two years ago titled, Work from Home Jobs for the Disabled.

That post talked about an organization known as the National Telecommuting Institute (NTI), which describes itself as follow:
National Telecommuting Institute (NTI) is a unique educational/job-matching organization pioneering the development of telework jobs for Americans with disabilities.
However, not all of the comments on my prior blog post were positive about this organization.

Recently, I've been receiving comments about an organization known as J. Lodge Corporation. Those comments (assuming they can be trusted, and I assume they can), seem to indicate that J.Lodge is the answer for many of those who are disabled and are trying to find work at home. On its website, J. Lodge explains:
Our agents, despite having suffered an illness or injury during their professional career, still yearn for the opportunity to apply their skills within a business environment. Recognizing this need, J.Lodge structured our entire employee model around the physically disabled - providing them a platform to succeed by allowing them to apply their expertise to our client base. This employee model has been the backbone of J.Lodge's success and is what differentiates our company from our competitors.
The company provides services to its clients in the area of call monitoring services (for quality control purposes), call center services, and what they call "All America Works", which they describe as their "Professional contract staffing service focused on placing physically disabled Americans in fulfilling, work at-home jobs."

The company's Website says it is actively recruiting and hiring individuals for Technical Analyst, NonTechnical Analyst and Customer Service Specialist positions. The application process involves completing a series of online tests, which they say takes from 45 minutes to an hour to complete (you do not have to complete the entire test in one sitting). If your experience and skill level matches their needs, a Human Resources representative will contact you about the next steps in the process, which can include an in-person interview at your home office - there is no need for applicants to travel.

I found no complaint record for J. Lodge in a Better Business Bureau search and saw no negative comments about them in a Google search, either. Ironically, some of the NTI material suggests that they refer workers to J.Lodge, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not.

At any rate, I'm hoping that a new source for work at home jobs for the disabled has come forth. I'm very interested in hearing about your first-hand experiences with J. Lodge if you contact them, or if you are already working for them. I strongly encourage you to leave your comments here on this post or join in the discussion in the forum. I have created a new folder called Work at Home for the Disabled.

It's tough for anyone to find work at home, but the disabled have additional hurdles they have to face every day. I'm hoping to do a series on the topic of work at home jobs for the disabled in the future, so your stories, your experiences and ideas are most welcome!

Read the Prior Post on Work at Home for the Disabled
Visit the J. Lodge Website
Join the Work at Home Jobs for the Disabled Discussion in the Forum
Read the Stories of Those Who are Disabled and Need to Work from Home
Comments
November 13, 2009 at 11:41 am
(1) Rosalind Joffe says:

This is such a great post, Randy. As a career coach for people living with chronic illness, this is an issue that’s always there and these websites are a great start! I haven’t looked at them but hoping that they can deal with issues chronically ill face and not just those who live with a constant and ever present impairment that doesn’t change.

November 14, 2009 at 7:47 am
(2) homebusiness says:

Thanks for your comment Rosalind. I think issues that face both the chronically ill and the permanently disabled need a larger forum. In most cases, these are people who still want to make a contribution to society and earn their own way but have few places to turn. I hope that more people will join in the discussion and spread the word.

Randy D.

November 13, 2009 at 2:54 pm
(3) Nancy says:

Randy, you hit the nail on the head with this post! I went on disability about six months ago and was among the few people to be approved on the first try – great, right? Not so much…I spent much of my career doing contract work or self employed so my award is very small. When I received my ticket to work and began looking for work at home, NTI was one of the first places I contacted and let me just say…to be kind…the experience was less than great. From the first contact with J.Lodge, for whom I now work I knew I had found the place for me. I would urge anyone in a similar situation to visit the site as we are continually hiring and expanding and welcome anyone who qualifies to apply at http://www.jlodge.com . once again, thanks for the shout out!

November 14, 2009 at 7:55 am
(4) homebusiness says:

Nancy – thanks for your comment and the insight. Everything I’ve read about J. Lodge so far has indicated that they really do care and understand that disabled workers can be among the most productive and hard-working people available. I sincerely hope that some of my disabled friends who see this information benefit from my bringing it to light and let others who are disabled know about it too – nothing would make me happier. I can’t – and won’t – endorse any individual company, but I will always pass along information that I feel warrants some attention and consideration. Just as I will always expose scammers when I become aware of them – it’s a two-sided coin. Best to all!

Randy D.

November 16, 2009 at 11:00 am
(5) Nancy says:

I’m certainly not asking you to make an endorsement, I think anyone who has had the experience can do that, but your help in exposing the scams is, in itself a huge help to anyone looking for legitimate work at home. Once that Maximus list is sent out, we are really on our own and so much of the process is done “virtually”. Not all of us have a career coach like Rosalind and that is why we are trying to use other forums to get the word out about J.Lodge. We are even posting on Craigslist when possible, but so many people are gun shy because of the scams I think they are hesitant to even try, so thanks again for letting people know and again our site is http://www.jlodge.com

November 16, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(6) homebusiness says:

Hi Nancy:
I get that you need to do what you need to do to get the word out. Unfortunately, many before you who have done the same have completely spammed the system so that people have lost faith completely. So you can probably appreciate why I too am skeptical.
My point was, I won’t put up with it, but by the same token, I am here to help in whatever way I can, so I think we’re both on the same page. I appreciate that I was made aware of J.Lodge and otherwise probably wouldn’t have known. Thanks for stopping by.

Randy D.

November 23, 2009 at 8:31 am
(7) Sharon Proellochs says:

Work at home opportunities are hard enough to find if you are able bodied, but if you are disabled, almost impossible. The J. Lodge Corporation offers great opportunities for work at home for the disabled. They specialize in assisting Americans with disabilities get back into the work force. Earning while on Social Security Disability information can be found at: http://www.yourtickettowork.com/. The phone number to get your Ticket to Work is 866-968-7842. To apply go to: http://www.jlodge.com/careers. Hope to have you as a co-worker soon!!!!!

November 23, 2009 at 4:23 pm
(8) homebusiness says:

Sharon:
The multiple posts are not winning me over as a big fan. While I appreciate you want to get the word out to others, I’ve been trying to help you do that. I really despise spam, and the repeated posts, some with the exact same text are not making a good impression for your company. I’ll allow this additional comment but hope in the future some restraint will be exercised.

Thanks,

Randy D.

December 8, 2009 at 7:15 am
(9) Stephanie Fryer says:

I am fortunate to be an employee of J Lodge Corporation. This is a company that truly cares about the wellbeing of its employees. When living with a disability, life offers you many challenges. J Lodge takes these challenges into account and works with you to accommodate your needs. While this may be true of other companies, J Lodge employees go the extra mile to ensure a positive and productive work experience. They care about how their employees are managing both their professional duties and personal wellbeing. I am honored to be a part of the J Lodge family.
Stephanie Fryer
J Lodge Remote HR Support

December 9, 2009 at 9:10 am
(10) homebusiness says:

Thanks, Stephanie.

January 19, 2010 at 1:53 pm
(11) Lauren says:

I’m so happy to see this article, I could cry. Thank you for recognizing the need for information on this subject. I am a 30 something permanently disabled working with this delema and this is the best article I’ve seen.

January 20, 2010 at 8:17 am
(12) homebusiness says:

Lauren:
Thanks so much for stopping by, for leaving a comment and for your kind words. Best wishes for your future and for maintaining your day-to-day strength.

Randy D.