Overview of this Business:
If you love to cook and are good at it, you could start a home business selling homemade baked goods. To keep this business in the home though, you'll want to start small.
Pros of this Home Business:
- If you love cooking, that's exactly what you'll be doing. You'll also have an opportunity to express your creativity.
- This is an excellent example of creating a business doing something you love.
- The odors from your kitchen can promote a sense of well-being and contentment.
Cons of this Home Business:
- You need to know about licensing and regulations before offering food to the public.
- You could spend many long - very late or very early - hours in your kitchen working around a hot oven.
- While your family may love your cooking, your customers may not.
- Competition may be tough and you'll need to know how to stand out against them.
- If you are successful, it's likely that you'll outgrow your home kitchen.
What You Need to Get Started with this Home Business:
- Sufficient baking skill and knowledge of safe food preparation and potential dietary issues.
- A retail or food service background would be very helpful.
- A supply of ingredients, room to store ingredients, a regular shopping regimen, and good suppliers.
- Any licenses or inspections required by your locality.
- An understanding of your competition and how your baked goods will stand out in the crowd.