1. Money

14 Tips to Get Off the Schneid and Change Your Life

By July 1, 2010

Image for Change Your Life Get Off the Schneid Post

If you've been wanting to change your life, maybe by starting your own business instead of "working for the man", or maybe by ditching a job you hate, or even if you've been out of work and getting nowhere fast, maybe it's time to "get off the schneid" and take matters into your own hands.

Wikipedia defines the phrase, "Get off the schneid" as:

"To break a scoreless, hitless, or winless streak (i.e., a schneid). According to the Dickson Baseball Dictionary, the term "schneid" comes to baseball via gin rummy, and in turn comes from German / Yiddish "schneider," one who cuts cloth, i.e., a tailor."

If you're in a scoreless, hitless or winless streak, if you're scared whitless or if you're just plain clueless and you want to change your life, just how can you "get off the schneid" and move on to bigger and better things?

Here are 14 tips (or steps, if you want to follow them in progression) that could change your life and help you get off the schneid:

1. Find your passion. What is it you really like to do? If you won the lottery tomorrow, what would you do in the way of working, hobbies, travel, etc. Live's too short to not know what it is you most like to do. Me? I'm a web geek who enjoys writing. That's why I do what I do. If I won the lottery, I'd still do it.
  2. Know your abilities. What are you good at? Where does your experience lie? Are you naturally talented in some area? If you're thinking about doing something where you have absolutely no experience, are you confident you can learn to do it and do it well?
  3. Know your limitations. What might you have to do that you're sure you'll hate? Can you get someone else to do that part for you, or do you need to rethink. If you're going to set up shop as a solopreneur, you can only do so much without involving more people. Will it be enough to sustain you?
  4. Look around you. Who's doing what you want to be doing? Whom do you admire? How did they get where they are today? What's stopping you from becoming more like them? Can you reach out to some of these people and ask for advice or possibly intern for them when they get too busy?
  5. Fill in gaps. Is there an area you're not really knowledgeable in that you need in order to take the next step? What is it, and where will you have to go to get the knowledge you need? How much of your time will it take and how much will it cost?
  6. Develop a plan. Your plan doesn't have to be a couple hundred pages of boring text, but sketch out your ideas on paper and worry about cleaning them up later. When you're sitting there with your coffee in the morning, what are you thinking about? When an idea strikes you, right it down and flesh it out later.
  7. Set goals. These can be income goals, they can be time goals, they can be educational goals or, preferably, they may be all of the above. If you don't have any goals you'll have a tough time understanding if you're making progress. Ever.
  8. Don't be stupid. Base your decisions at least in part on facts. Don't bet the farm on your idea if you can't afford to lose the farm. Maybe start with one pile of hay and see where it takes you. Just don't burn down the barn in the process.
  9. Get buy in. Your family, and especially your spouse or significant other, need to be on board with your plan, whatever that may be. No business or job is worth losing a loving relationship over. None.
  10. Take care of yourself. Get enough sleep, watch out for your health. Treat yourself occasionally as you attain your goals. Know your limits and abide by them. No business or job is worth putting yourself into an early grave. Others can sense it when you're stressed out. They'll want to avoid you.
  11. Just do it. What are you waiting for? Hell to freeze over? Someone to save you? A handout? You'll be waiting an awfully long time. Get over yourself and get on with it. You bear the primary responsibility for making your dreams come true. You may not succeed in the end, but you'll have a heck of a lot of fun and get an awesome amount of satisfaction in trying.
  12. Learn from your mistakes. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Don't let people screw you over. Stand up for yourself and take control. Then move forward. Let me hear you roar!
  13. Reach out for help and guidance. No one person knows everything, not even you or the Amazing Karnak. Admit when you need help and then get it from someone who's qualified and willing to give it to you.
  14. Be flexible. As you go through the process of discovery, you may change your mind as often as you might change a toddler's diaper. That's okay. Life's a process. Learn from it. Grow from it. Thrive in it. Make whatever adjustments you need to, put on clean undies and move on.

This is your life. Get off the schneid if you're on it. Get over yourself. Get out there and start winning!

What suggestions would you give someone to "get off the schneid"? Have you been on the schneid, thinking about commenting on a blog post and haven't done it yet? Live a little. Get off the schneid starting right now. The world wants to hear what you have to say.

Comments
July 1, 2010 at 1:10 pm
(1) Frank Rafalian says:

I, as a business owner for over 18 years, running a brick and mortar and on line business-Men and Ladies apparel and footwear, could tell you that this is a great article with some key points.
Nothing beats being your own boss and have your own business…although it comes with a heavy price of “Responsibility” and “Sacrificing”. So just roll up your selves and JUST DO IT.

Frank Rafalian
President
The Sharper Look

July 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm
(2) homebusiness says:

Frank:
Thanks for you comment. Your experience and success speak for themselves as one who knows how to “Get off the schneid”.

Randy D.

July 2, 2010 at 10:07 am
(3) Wayne says:

Very good post-

The only two added points are as follows:

First: I would add is that you have to develop the faith and belief in yourself and in God-that you will do what you set out today. Irrespective of one’s spiritual or faith views-almost everyone believes in something or someone. If you can believe it-you can achieve it. Conversely, if you don’t believe you can-more likely than not you won’t.

Secondly, goals should be broken down into short/long term. It make the task/s more manageable and doable. And remember to check and review your goal list at least every 6 months or so. Life is fluid, not static, therefore neither should one’s goals be static. Circumstances and events impact everyone of us every day, every week, and every month of the year.

Make sure your goals and aspirations are reflective of your goals and new reality today, not what you penned on paper 12 months ago.

Best-

Wayne

July 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm
(4) homebusiness says:

Thanks for the comment Wayne. We’re definitely in agreement.

Randy D.

July 7, 2010 at 4:25 am
(5) Lynne says:

Randy, I’m glad I read this at 4 in the morning. I’ve been up thinking.

I desperately want to be a freelance writer, preferably for corporate markets (not so much for magazines). But it seems SEO and social media marketing have replaced writing.

You wrote that you’re a “web geek who loves writing” and this suits your career perfectly. But I am so NOT a web geek. I love writing and rewriting, analyzing how documents can be made more user-friendly, both online and in print. I can write marketing materials, but I just don’t think I’m cut out for SEO marketing. I’m ashamed to admit this, but I have no passion for SEO stuff whatsoever.

Do you think I’m cutting myself off at the knees by not learning SEO marketing and offering it as a service? Or should I accept this lack of passion as a limitation and focus on corporate writing? I know you cannot tell me what to do, but I am just looking for some advice.

Thanks,
Lynne

July 7, 2010 at 8:37 am
(6) homebusiness says:

Lynne:
Congrats on “getting off the schneid” and leaving a comment about something that’s been on your mind.

From the standpoint of an online writer, it helps to understand how SEO works – using targeted keywords, including them in the title, in the first sentence and then sprinkling them throughout the piece. I’m a bit unusual in that I love the “techy” and “geeky” in addition to writing, but most freelancers I know are not all that technically inclined, nor do they want to be. In my case, it’s helped quite a bit, but I don’t think it’s essential.

There are still plenty of gigs out there for freelance writers for creating print materials, like white papers, product info sheets, marketing collateral, sales briefs, reports and even direct mail marketing sales letters. They will always be there.

That being said, in today’s competitive market it helps to keep your skills sharp and learn new things. For example, right now blogging is probably the best opportunity for any writer. Knowing some HTML helps, because even in great blog platforms like WordPress, you can get yourself out of a formatting jam if you can “go under the hood” and tweak the code a little bit when you need to. Here again, understanding SEO and where and how to optimize a blog post is an important, marketable skill.

So I guess it really comes down to whether or not you want to tap into the online writing market. That’s all part of “filling in gaps”, discussed in item 5 in this post. If you’re finding that your insufficient knowledge in this area is really a barrier to getting work, then you really should plan to do something about it. On the other hand, if you can get a steady stream of work without it, don’t stress out over it.

Just stay alert to developments and keep an ear to the ground to learn what your potential clients want. By meeting those needs, you’ll be assuring your success.

Randy D.

July 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm
(7) Lynne says:

Thanks so much, Randy!

Once again you are so helpful! You give some of the best advice out there!

Thanks,
Lynne

July 8, 2010 at 8:37 am
(8) homebusiness says:

Thanks, Lynne. Glad I could help/

Randy D.

August 11, 2010 at 11:18 am
(9) Rachel Suave says:

It’s SNIED

August 12, 2010 at 9:27 am
(10) homebusiness says:

Here’s the entry from Wikipedia:

get off the schneid

To break a scoreless, hitless, or winless streak (i.e., a schneid). According to the Dickson Baseball Dictionary, the term “schneid” comes to baseball via gin rummy, and in turn comes from German / Yiddish “schneider,” one who cuts cloth, i.e., a tailor.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_baseball_%28G%29

There is a “snide”, which means derogatory, such as in a “snide remark”, which doesn’t apply to what I meant, but I see nothing anywhere for your “snied”.

Randy D.

August 11, 2010 at 11:23 am
(11) Jahnsnieder says:

Don’t be so sniedy, Rachel!

August 12, 2010 at 9:28 am
(12) homebusiness says:

I think that would be “snide”.

Randy D.

September 20, 2010 at 11:53 am
(13) Rachel Suave says:

You are missing the essential concept of Snied

September 21, 2010 at 8:58 am
(14) homebusiness says:

Rachel:
Care to elaborate?

Randy D.

September 22, 2010 at 3:55 am
(15) Sniedmeister says:

I’d say Rachel’s comment is rather sniedy, yet accurate

September 23, 2010 at 8:23 am
(16) homebusiness says:

Sneigmeister:
Sniedy? Again, just throw this out there, but don’t elaborate. I’d say it was a snide comment or remark, which is totally different than

');adunit('','','about.com',ch,gs,300,250,'1','bb',3);w('