A home business franchise is such a great way to go for entrepreneurs who want to run a proven business out of their home. If you are an individual ready to make a sizable investment of time and money, a home business franchise offers a flushed out business plan with provided support and training, which decreases start-up risk.
Entrepreneur has done an incredible job flushing out the top 2012 home-based franchises using data from their 33rd annual Franchise 500 Report. The 2012 report is very similar to the 2011 report, with 80% of those on last year’s list remaining. The biggest change, however, is Vanguard Cleaning Systems being bumped from the number one spot down to number eight. New to this year’s list are ServiceMasters Clean and Cruise Planners/American Express.
Commercial cleaning continues to dominate the top home-based business franchise list, with 60% claiming top 10 spots.
When ranking franchises, Entrepreneur considers the following criteria: financial strength, business stability, growth rate and size, number of years in operation, number of years offering franchising, start-up costs, litigation, percentage of terminations and whether or not financing options are offered.
- Servpro: Servpro specializes in disaster restoration for both commercial and residential customers whose property suffered fire or water damage. Start-up costs: $132,000 - $180,000.
- Stratus Building Solutions: Franchisees offer environmentally friendly cleaning services to office buildings, retails properties, medical facilities and schools. Start-up costs: $3,450 - $57,750.
- Jazzercise Inc.: Jazzercise offers franchisees training and certification in its unique total-body conditioning aerobic-dance program. Start-up costs: $2,980 - $76,500.
- Matco Tools: Matco Tools manufacturers and distributes over 13,000 different tools, toolboxes and automotive equipment. Franchisees deliver these products to various customers via truck. Start-up costs: $82,380 - $191,820.
- Snap-on Tools: Snap-on Tools manufacturers over 19,000 various tool products. Franchisees take their “mobile stores” via a truck filled with the Snap-on Tools’ products directly to their customers, who include car dealerships, mechanics, marinas and airports. Start-up costs: $17,900 - $289,000.
- CleanNet USA Inc.: Offer professional cleaning services via a uniformed staff to various commercial, retail and industrial facilities. Start-up costs: $6,655 – $92,950.
- System4: National provider of commercial cleaning services to various size businesses. Start-up costs: $6,100 - $37,750.
- Vanguard Cleaning Systems: It’s franchisees serve approximately 10,000 commercial cleaning accounts. Start-up costs: $8,000 - $38,100.
- ServiceMaster Clean: ServiceMaster franchises offer disaster restoration and residential and commercial cleaning services. Start-up costs: $48,000-$161,000.
- Cruise Planners/America Express: Cruise Planners/American Express Travel Service connect business and leisure travelers with the ideal cruise. Franchisees work from their homes, selling cruises full or part time. Start-up costs: $1,600 - $19,400.
For more in-depth information on each franchise, view Entrepreneur's entire home-based franchise list.